Western Talkie Theatre A3 Print | Adam Allsuch Boardman
These prints are part of our latest exhibition which accompanies the interactive heritage project 'Hiding In Plain sight'. The project, launched by The Hyde Park Picture House, allows you to rediscover the lost cinemas of Leeds - where they were situated, who designed them, when they opened their doors and, in most cases, when they closed them for the last time.
The images for the project have been designed by the talented Leeds-based illustrator Adam Allsuch Boardman. For the show 12 of the 70 images produced were chosen to be reproduced as A3 (29.7 x 42cm) art prints.
Western Talkie Theatre 1910-1960 (still visible). Branch Rd, Armley.
This small cinema was converted from a Primitive Methodist Chapel and opened in 1910. In 1933 it was renamed the Western Talkie Cinema, the most likely reason for this would be that it had installed a Western Electric sound system. It has also been known as the New Western and Branch Road Picture House. When it closed in 1960 it was converted to a bingo hall. It has also housed a launderette at one time, but is currently a European Food Supermarket.