These prints are part of our latest exhibition which accompanies the interactive heritage project 'Hiding In Plain sight'. The project, launched by The Hyde Park Picture House, allows you to rediscover the lost cinemas of Leeds - where they were situated, who designed them, when they opened their doors and, in most cases, when they closed them for the last time.
The images for the project have been designed by the talented Leeds-based illustrator Adam Allsuch Boardman. For the show 12 of the 70 images produced were chosen to be reproduced as A3 (29.7 x 42cm) art prints.
Majestic Cinema 1920 - 1969 (still visible). Leeds City Square, Leeds.
The Majestic was Leeds’ first ‘super cinema’ with a huge auditorium seating 2,500 people. It had an orchestra, a restaurant and a ballroom, which hosted tea dances and evening dances. It was built on the site of the former recruiting office for First World War troops and it opened in 1922. The domed ceiling of the auditorium was decorated with a great frieze depicting chariots and horsemen.