These prints are part of our latest exhibition which accompanies the interactive heritage project 'Hiding In Plain sight'. The project, launched by The Hyde Park Picture House, allows you to rediscover the lost cinemas of Leeds - where they were situated, who designed them, when they opened their doors and, in most cases, when they closed them for the last time.
The images for the project have been designed by the talented Leeds-based illustrator Adam Allsuch Boardman. For the show 12 of the 70 images produced were chosen to be reproduced as A3 (29.7 x 42cm) art prints.
Tower Cinema 1920-1985 (still visible). New Briggate, Leeds.
The Tower Cinema, also known as Tower Picture House, opened in 1920, with seating for 1,188 people. It was created by converting part of the Grand Arcade, the designs for this were supplied by Harehill-based architect, J. P. Crawford. It closed in 1985 and has been used a nightclub and bar, it has been a subsidiary of Sheffield’s Gatecrasher and now The Brotherhood of Pursuits and Pastimes.